T-Res allows activity-based evaluations, so that evaluators such as staff physicians or preceptors can provide feedback on a trainee's skills and performance, within the context of an activity or patient encounter that they were both a part of.
This guide goes through the entire evaluation process workflow. Your particular program's evaluation setup might be different from the demo program used here, so please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Certain forms on the trainee's logger are deemed "evaluable." These are usually the activities where they perform an operation/procedures or otherwise deal directly with a patient in treating the patient's complaint.
When a trainee creates an activity that is evaluable, the person selected from the Attending Physician (sometimes also called Preceptor or Supervisor) drop-down will receive a copy of the trainee's activity upon which the evaluation will be based.
Frequency of Generated Evaluations
There are three main strategies used to determine the frequency for generating the evaluations:
- Always - An activity created on the form always generates an evaluation.
- Lottery - A percentage chance is provided to determine whether or not an activity is generated. e.g. 50% chance would be like flipping a coin each time an activity is saved.
- Request - Residents must check the "Request Evaluation" box to generate an evaluation.
Some strategies can be used in tandem, such as a 50% lottery chance + a Request Evaluation check box to force the system to generate an evaluation.
Once you are logged in, go to Activities > View Activities to view all the evaluations that are waiting for you to be reviewed and completed. New evaluations are marked with an "Evaluate Now" button. Click this button to open.
Once you are inside the activity, you should see there are two parts. The top part, with a green background, shows a copy of what the trainee entered. This describes the activity - where and when it happened, patient demographics, what the trainee did and the role he/she played, etc. - so that you can recall what it was that you both did together, and how the trainee performed. All the fields in green are read-only, meaning you cannot change them.
The section with the blue background is the part that the evaluator fills out. This is where you can assess the trainee's performance. The evaluation setup itself differs from program to program. Some are very simple - perhaps just asking the evaluator to rate the student on a 1-5 scale, and then a free text entry field for any additional feedback. Others are more robust and multi-faceted, and ask the evaluator to rate the trainee in different domains or skill sets.
Sometimes, an "Evaluation Complete" check box will be available at the end of the evaluation form. Check this box if you have entered all the feedback you want to give. This will make your entire evaluation available to and viewable by the trainee whom you just evaluated. If there is no check box, this means that your evaluation will be "released" to the trainee as soon as you click "Save."
Once you save your completed evaluation, the status of the activity will change to "Evaluation Complete." Try to convert all "pending" evaluations to "completed" evaluations before you log out for the day!
Tips and Tricks
- Try to log in and complete your evaluations regularly, especially if you are in a very busy program with a high volume of trainees and/or activities. This will ensure that you keep the backlog of incomplete or pending evaluations to a minimum, and that you can actually still recall the details of the activity enough to provide an accurate assessment of trainee performance.
- Some programs have enabled automatic emails to evaluators when an activity is ready for them to review. That way you only need to log into the system when there is something to do! Contact email@example.com to learn more or inquire if your program has this set up.
- Sometimes, a trainee will update his/her activity after you've already completed your evaluation. When this happens, the evaluation's status will change to "Activity Changed" to alert the evaluator that he/she may need to update the evaluation. The original and updated values will be displayed for each field for comparison purposes.