The RSL is designed to track a resident’s progress through their residency. In doing so, surgical case experiences are associated with specific stages.
When you create a new resident profile, you must define the starting stage and starting stage date. Based on this information, subsequent learning stages are added to a residents profile and the resident automatically advances to the next stage on July 1st each year. At the end of their residency (either 4 years or 6 years), the resident will automatically enter the “Pass” stage.
4-Year/Single-Degree vs. 6-Year/Dual Degree Schedules
Learning stages for each Training Program were defined when your Program's account was enrolled in the RSL.
Single degree programs are established with PGY1, PGY2, PGY3, and PGY4 selections.
Dual degree programs are established with PGY1, PGY2, PGY3, PGY4, PGY5, and PGY6 selections.
Programs which offer dual degree and single degree programs are defined as six year programs.*
In addition, these options are available to all Programs by default: Pass, Fellow, Research, Intern, On Leave, Fail and Transfer.
To adjust the learning stages defined for your Program, email RSL@omsnic.com.
Trainees will automatically advance to the next stage as of July 1 each year. For example:
- PGY2 Resident will automatically move to PGY3 as of July 1
- PGY4 in a 4 year program will automatically move to PASS as of July 1
- PGY6 in a 6 year program will automatically move to PASS as of July 1
*In program that offers BOTH 4 and 6 year degrees, PGY4 Residents will not automatically advance to PASS on July 1. You will need to manually delete PGY 5 and PGY 6 stages, and adjust the stage start date for the Pass stage for accurate reporting.
Interns and Fellows
- For interns or fellows who continue training at your program, change the "Pass" stage on the "Trainee Schedule" page to PGY1, with a start date of 7/1/[appropriate year]. Then, add additional stages (PGY 2, PGY3, etc.) as appropriate.
Stages are categorized by status.
Active stages include PGY 1-6, Fellow and Intern
Inactive Stages: Pass, Fail, Transfer, On Leave
No Stage: Residents without any learning stages defined
Status classification helps to manage your resident profiles but has no impact on the resident's ability to access the RSL or enter cases.
Edit Learning Stages
Only RSL Administrators can adjust learning stages. We recommend contacting OMSNIC at email@example.com or (855)OMS-RES1 if you are not familiar with editing training schedules to avoid negative impacts on reporting.
1. Click Program on the menu
2. Click the Trainee Schedule tab
- If "All" status is selected, all resident profiles will be displayed.
- If "Active" status is selected, only resident profiles with a current active stage (per above section definitions) will be displayed.
- If "InActive" status is selected, only resident profiles with an inactive stage (per above section definitions) will be displayed.
- If "No Stage" status is selected, only resident profiles without a stage will be displayed.
- Note: Residents will show as "Not in a Stage" if their Program Start Date is any date in the future.
Program start date should always be 7/1/[year]
Generally, the starting stage is PGY1 unless the resident transferred in at a different stage.
Click the resident's name to display their current training schedule.
Deleting stage(s): Click the stage and select deletion. Deletion must begin with the last stage first.
Adding stage(s): Click Add Stage to add new stages. Stages must be added in ascending order, beginning with the earliest stage.
All training schedules must end with a Pass stage.